12 responses

1. SalemMomma
    January 16, 2012

Totally agree with RF. I think if a parent turns their kid around because they think it’s the right thing, more power to them, I have no problem with it. However, the ones that do as you mentioned above, who turn them forward “to make them happier”, that’s what I have a problem with. Think more about keeping your kids safe, not being their “buddy”.

2. fancygrlnancy
    January 16, 2012

I agree! We rear faced past 2 years old.. up until he was out of the weight limit for our seat. He never knew any different since that is the way he always sat. I will do the same for baby #2.. hoping there is still room. Much easier with one.

3. Mama B
    January 16, 2012

I am totally an advocate for extended rear facing. Many of my friends are shocked that Lucas is still RF. They turned their kids around after a year because their legs looked “uncomfy”. Sigh. Broken leg, cast it. Broken neck, casket.

• Margaret Bolt
      April 28, 2012

Absolutely. Although apparently there are no known cases of a rear facing child ever breaking their legs.

4. LOVE MELISSA:)
    January 17, 2012

RF all the way! I have no plans to change him till 2 at the earliest!

5. Summer
    January 19, 2012

RF. I learned about ERF when my son was almost 3. I turned him back arounad and he didn’t even care. I flipped him to forward when we got a new car and Devan couldn’t physically drive the car with him rear-facing. (he is 6’3). I know some people are like get a different car, but not everyone has that luxury. In my car he RF’d in our other car he didn’t. He is now almost 4 and FF’s in both cars. I also have a 19 month old who RF’s still and will until at least 3.5. I also have a ton of friends who simply do not care to look into the safety side of it. To them I am crunchy because I make my own food, cloth diaper and ERF. Oh well. It’s all about my kids safety!

6. Chiropractor Salt Lake City
    March 30, 2012

Thanks for sharing this tips, I’m also looking for the best device for my little angel while having an out of town trip. Keep posting more!

7. Margaret Bolt
    April 28, 2012

I’m in the UK and have only recently found out about ERF, and immediately turned my kids back. They’re nearly five and 3,5. They’re perfectly fine with it. They have a great view from the rear window, they can chat to their older sisters when they sit in the back row, and they have plenty of legroom.
    I think it’s a real shame that some people are so negative about it, and put it in a little box along with extended breastfeeding and babywearing, as something that is just for weirdos ‘who knit their own yoghurt’. I don’t understand how anyone could read the statistics on ERF and then choose to ignore them!
    Here a link to my website with a picture of mine in their ERF seats.

8. Anonymous
    September 29, 2012

Just buy a Eurovan. The two captains chairs in the middle are rear facing.

9. Anonymous
    October 16, 2012

Okay, I’ll be the contrarian.

The statistics make it look like a no-brainer, you’re safer rear facing. This is true, but take it in context instead of all by itself, and it’s just another factor in your decision.

Merely being in a car seat at all provides the vast, vast, vast majority of protection a child gets in a car accident. Rear facing incrementally improves the safety, but saying it reduces the risk by 71% is spinning the numbers a little — it’s 71% of an already small fraction: 2%. This falls squarely under “diminishing returns”, especially for a child older than 2.

So yes, if it works for you, rear facing all the way. But don’t let it be your only decision. For example, some kids get really car sick rear-facing, don’t feel guilty turning them around at 2. The risk does go up, but not nearly as much as “71%” claims would have you believe.

10. Bill Shields
    October 20, 2012

I will vote nay. I had one for my kid. We went on a a kind of a long drive, and she was sitting in the rear facing car seat for the drive. Well, when we got home she ran to the bathroom and threw up in the sink. We had to call the plumber afterwards because there was a lot of blockage. Anyway, I think I’m just going to let her face the front from now on. Hopefully it won’t happen again.