I thought I would make a quick list of some steps we take to build our immune or treat our sicknesses when they do strike our home.
- VITAMIN D – As soon as the cooler weather hits us (which is right about NOW since we live in the Chicago area) we start pumping up on extra vitamin D. When we feel like we are getting sick, we pump MORE vitamin D into our systems. Gracie uses the drops in her coconut milk, my hubby takes Cod Liver Oil and the rest of us take it by pill form.
- VITAMIN C and a MULITIVITAMIN. We are not faithful with multivitamins during the rest of the year until fall hits. Same with Vitamin C.
- PROBIOTIC. Gracie take a chewable or a powder that I put into her coconut milk and the rest of us take it in pill form or powder. We also make our own homemade organic yogurt with live cultures.
- We *try* to limit the amount of sugar we eat, because sugar breeds sickness.
- We use coconut oil for everything! Gracie will even eat it off of a spoon. I cook our eggs with it everyday. I cook everything with coconut oil due to it’s awesome properties. It has anti oxidizing properties that come from its saturated fats like Capric Acid, Caprylic Acid, Caproic Acid and Myristic Acid which convert themselves into anti microbial and anti fungal properties and moisture retaining capacity and these properties are also what protects our body from many different conditions. They also increase the rate of metabolism in your body, which aids in weight loss, increases level of good cholesterol (High Density Lipoproteins) and lowers the level of bad cholesterol (Low Density Lipoproteins). It’s also a great sources of energy.
- We eat much more cinnamon and garlic than normal due to it’s protective health benefits. The health benefits of garlic are amazing! We also use garlic mixed with coconut oil in our ears when we feel a sickness coming on. It stops a cold in it’s tracks. It cures ear infections too so we do not need to go to the doctor for an antibiotic.
- When we feel like we are getting hit with the flu, we start taking Oscillococcinum. It kicks it before it hits full blown.
- Bone Broth!! When your grandma used to push chicken soup when you were sick… she wasn’t joking! Broth cures colds and sicknesses because the stock contains minerals in a form the body can absorb easily like calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals, and the broken down material from cartilage and tendons.
- FEVER – WE DO NOT MEDICATE! When our body ‘catches’ a virus, it raises our temperature… to fight the virus off! What do we do? We medicate to break the fever… which KEEPS US SICK! We need to let our body do what is was made to do – fight the virus! In our home, we do not medicate unless the temperature is over 103.5F. The only other time I will medicate to break Gracie’s fever is if she is in a lot of discomfort. I do not want to do this, but I am not strong enough to see her so unhappy. I *try* my hardest not to medicate. It’s hard in the middle of the night. Gracie is tough during the daytime but when nighttime comes, she tends to become more upset.
- OIL OF OREGANO – When we feel ourselves coming down with something, we immediately start taking Oil of Oregano. It is a natural antibiotic.
- Raw, Local Honey – Raw honey is honey that has not been pasteurized or filtered, (basically taken directly from the hive). It’s a natural antibiotic which helps kill microbes directly, fights colds and respiratory infections of all kinds, gets rid of allergies and hay fever, provides a bunch of vitamins, minerals and enzymes, which aid in healing.
- Essential Oils – If you’re congested, mix a few drops of Eucalyptus Oil in a couple spoonful’s of coconut oil. Rub it on check, back and feet. It works wonders and is way better than Vick’s. You can also use Eucalyptus Oil in a diffuser for aromatherapy.
I am sure I missed something… but this is a fantastic start to prepare for the season that is sure to be filled with viruses.
What did I miss?
What do you do to stay healthy during this season of colds and viruses?